With even a quick glance, it’s pretty obvious there’s something different about the Clek Oobr High Back Booster Car Seat compared to other boosters. Clek has taken a smart design approach that mimics features of a regular seat in a vehicle. It also added some valuable features to ensure your child enjoys a safe and comfortable ride.
In designing this convertible booster seat, Clek really gave some thought as to what parents want in a booster seat and what would keep kids comfortable, especially on long rides. Here are some things that stand out:
- A removable back, so it goes from high back to backless. This means parents save money because it accommodate their child longer.
- A headrest that adjusts like those in your own vehicle. That makes it easier for parents to use.
- A wide seat that provides comfort as your child grows.
- The seat back reclines, which is always a plus on long rides.
These well-thought-out features complement the overall design of the seat.
A Super Sturdy Structure Not Often Found in Booster Seats
The Oobr has a metal substructure, not usually seen in booster seats. Clek is the first car seat manufacturer to completely build a booster on a metal substructure.
In high back mode, the booster seat accommodates youngsters ages 4 and older who are between 38 and 57 inches tall and 33 to 100 pounds in weight.
In backless mode, the booster seat accommodates children ages 4 and older who are between 40 and 57 inches tall and 40 to 100 pounds in weight.
The structural features of the booster seat are: the seat base; the seat back and a seat back release strap for converting to backless mode; the seat cushion; armrests; headrest and headrest adjuster; LATCH connectors; lap belt and shoulder belt guides; recline handle; and cup holder (Clek calls it a drink-thingy).
Oobr Safety Is Clearly Evident
For parents, safety is the driving factor when choosing a booster car seat. And rightly so. The premium safety features found in the Clek Oobr high back booster car seat with recline and rigid latch will put parents’ minds at ease.
Clek has devised what it calls an elemental safety system to secure and protect your child from the front, rear and side. This system is comprised of: energy absorbing foam, a structural headrest, a rigid latch, a magnesium back frame, and belt guides.
Here’s a look at each one:
- Layers of Energy-Absorbing Foam
- Because it has layers of foam, the Oobr booster does a better job absorbing the energy produced in a crash and keeping it away from your child.
- Structural Headrest
- Provides maximum safety protection that reduces twisting movements. Your child’s head and neck will remain stable in the event of a crash. Additionally, the headrest is designed with deep, padded side wings that offer maximum side impact protection. The headrest can be adjusted as your child grows.
- Rigid Latch
- This latch works with your vehicle’s LATCH system. It locks the booster into place to give it even more stability in the event of a collision.
- Magnesium Back Frame
- Made from magnesium alloy, its strength gives the seat’s back even more security and stability. It protects your child’s torso if a side impact collision occurs. Additionally, the steel rods along the back keep the headrest in place.
- Belt Guides
- These attach to the headrest and ensure the safety belt is properly positioned on your child’s shoulders and hips.
All components of the safety system work in unison to provide a secure ride when the vehicle is in motion.
The Car Seat’s Components Make Installation and Usage Quick and Easy
While the seat is designed to install in most vehicles, there may be a few makes and models where the fit is tight. The product’s overall dimensions in high back mode are 16 x 17 x 28 inches and 20 pounds.
These specific dimensions from the manufacturer should help in determining whether the car seat can be installed in your vehicle.
In High Back Mode
- Width of Base (including armrests and cup holder): 20 inches
- Width of Seating Area: 15.5 inches
- Height Range (depending on position of headrest): 14 to 21 inches
- Depth: 13 inches
- Weight: 20 pounds
In Backless Mode
- Width of Base (including armrests and cup holder): 20 inches
- Width of Seating Area: 14 inches
- Height of the Rear of the Seat: 4.5 inches
- Height of the Front of the Seat: 5 inches
- Depth: 15 inches
- Weight: 10 pounds
Installing the High Back Booster Seat
Once you open the box, you’ll need to attach the headrest to the seat back and then attach that assembly to the seat base. Your booster is now in high back mode. The cup holder, which, by the way, is dishwasher-safe, can be installed on either side.
The booster seat can be installed using either your vehicle’s LATCH system or seat belt system. The Clek installation guide offers concise instructions and illustrations on how to install using either method.
However, the seat’s rigid latch only works when installing using your vehicle’s LATCH system. Likewise, the recline feature is only available when the seat is in high back mode and installed using the LATCH system. The seat can be reclined up to 12 degrees by sliding the seat forward using the rigid latch.
If your vehicle is equipped with lower anchors, Oobr has rigid lower anchor connectors to attach to it. This secures the seat in your vehicle when it is not in use, preventing it from becoming a flying projectile in the event of a crash.
Once installed, place your child in the seat to adjust the headrest. Simply press the headrest adjuster button and slide the headrest up until the belt guide indicator is at or above your child’s shoulder. Next, use the shoulder belt guide to slide the seat belt through.
Switching to Backless Booster
When your child is ready to transition to a backless booster, simply pull the seat back release strap and remove each side of the seat back.
Oobr Offers Good Range of Color and Fabric Selection, Plus Accessories
The Clek Oobr comes in various colors and fabrics. All the fabrics are stain and spill resistant, except the luxury automotive fabric used on the Oobr Drift model.
Among the fabric options are:
- Standard Crypton, which has the soft feel of terry cloth.
- Tailored Crypton, which is a more premium fabric and has a smooth feel to it.
- Tokidoki for Clek, which is micro-fleece for a soft, flannel feel.
- Merino Wool, which is luxuriously soft and has no added flame retardants.
All the Crypton fabrics resist stains, moisture and odor-causing bacteria. More importantly, they do not contain brominated and chlorinated flame retardants.
You can remove the seat cushion’s cover and wash it by hand. The fabric on the high back, headrest and side wings is not removable, but can be spot cleaned.
Clek also offers add-on accessories that can be purchased separately. They include:
- The drink-thingy cup holder in case you want a second one for the other side. Or, if you purchased the Oobr Drift model, the cup holder is not included.
- A fabric cleaning kit, which includes eco-friendly fabric cleaning and stain remover solutions and a scrub brush.
- The Weelee travel bag, which is a portable car seat travel bag that folds flat when not in use.
- The mat-thingy car seat protector mat that protects the booster seat from messes.
More Reasons to Consider Buying the Clek Oobr
Besides its premium design and rich safety and comfort features, there are a few more reasons why you should seriously consider this seat.
First, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated the Clek Oobr high back booster car seat a “Best Bet” for nine consecutive years. To earn this designation, the booster seat must provide exceptional lap and shoulder belt fit for ages 4 to 8 in almost any model of car, minivan, or SUV.
It also complies with all federal motor vehicle safety standards for booster car seats.
Since it grows with your child by going from high back to backless, the seat has a 9 year expiration date, longer than other boosters.
The Clek Oobr high back booster car seat with recline and rigid latch is chock full of premium comfort and safety features. It’s a step above other booster seats in terms of its unique design and features.
Although it’s on the high-end of booster seats price wise, it’s built to last and grow with your child.
There’s a lot of value built into this car seat, which is something also worth weighing against price. All in all, the Clek Oobr is one of the best booster seats on the market.
- Quick and easy install
- Good for vehicles without head restraints
- Converts from high back booster to backless booster as child grows
- Solid and sturdy construction
- Numerous comfort and safety design features
- Easy to clean removable seat cushion and cover
- Comfortable during long rides
- The seatbelt threads through easily
- Smaller, compact profile so it fits in most small vehicles
- May be too wide for some vehicle types, making it difficult to access the vehicle’s seat belt connector
- Latching mechanism is a pull/pull design, which might be hard to do in small vehicles where space is tight
- The armrests could make it a bit difficult to get your child in and out of the seat
- Recline feature can be used only with vehicle’s LATCH system
- Price is high
- Seat is a bit heavy in high back mode