The Britax USA Advocate is one of the most useful and safe convertible car seats in the brand’s lineup. The big change with this car seat over previous models is the addition of the ClickTight technology which makes installation easier than ever before.
This has become a notable feature in other models by Britax. The manufacturer managed to make it even better by adding the convertible option, which means that children can go from relaxing in the rear-facing infant seat to turning around an enjoying the front-facing car set.
With the ClickTight feature, this car seat has become one of the easiest to install, so it keeps babies safe while on the road.
What makes it so unique?
The Britax Advocate is a convertible car seats that is easy to install. It serves as a rear-facing seat for infants and a forward-facing seat for toddlers. It includes several Britax features that make it an extremely safe car seat for children who weigh between 5 and 65 pounds.
It has several types of protection, from its SafeCell Impact Protections to its three layers of side-impact protection. But, the highlight of the seats is the noticeable click that occurs when the seat is installed.
It also includes a 14-pound harness and a buckle that can be moved up and down to fit newborns, infants, and toddlers.
Britax Advocate ClickTight Weight Limits
Like the other Britax models, the safety features on this car seat are designed for a specific weight limit.
- When the car seat is set up to face the rear, the weight range is 5 to 40 pounds.
- When the car seat is turned to face the front, the weight range is 20 to 65 pounds, for a child who is at least 12 months of age.
- The car seat has a height range of 49 inches or less.
Britax Advocate Measurements
It is important that parents and their cars can handle the size and weight of the car seat. The Britax Advocate is a car seat that you install, and leave in place.
It is not one that easily lifts from the base. So, it is heavier than a four-in-one with a removable carrying unit.
- The car seat weighs 30 pounds.
- The bottom of the car seat is 15 inches wide.
- The widest part of the car seat is 20 inches.
- The shell of the car set is 29 inches tall.
- The entire car seat is 31 inches tall from top to bottom.
How much room will your child have in the Britax Advocate?
Britax has established weight and height ranges for children who ride either rear-facing or forward-facing. While the weight limits are easy to determine, the height does need a thorough explanation.
Infants under 12 months of age should face the rear of the car and weigh between 5 and 40 pounds. When sitting in the shell of the car seat, the infant’s head should not go higher than one inch below the shell of the seat.
This sets the limit at 27 inches, giving the Advocate the title of tallest rear-facing seat on the market!
When you are ready to turn the car seat around, children who ride in it should be 20 to 65 pounds and be no taller than 54 inches. The Advocate is the second-tallest car seat as the highest harness setting is 19.5 inches. The harness can be adjusted in increments of .85 inches with the lowest setting at 8.5 inches. When the car seat faces the front, you determine your child’s safety by the location of the tips of his ears.
If your child’s ears just below the top of the sheel, then your child will be safe in a car accident while sitting in the Britax Advocate. Even though a child who is 12 months of age can face the front, car seat safety experts recommend that children face the rear for much longer – even up to age two.
Britax Car Seat Design
This attractive car seat comes from Britax, which has the highest safety ratings of any manufacture in the US. The car seat has a outer shell that is designed absorb the energy from the impact of a car accident. The headrest is lined with comfortable foam and the shell has several protective layers for side impact.
The fit and function of the Britax Advocate has been designed to be all about ease and safety. The harness has a ClickTight feature so you know that the seat is properly installed with an indicator that shows if the seat is tightened appropriately. In fact, the harness has 14 separate positions that can be adjusted instantly.
Britax uses parts from all over the globe, but they build the seat in the US where the seat is repeatedly tested for safety.
Britax has been making car seats for generations. The seat is made with a steel frame on a base built to absorb accident energy. The tether keeps the seat in place due to its effective V-shape and stitches that are designed to release in stages to reduce forward momentum in an accident.
The shell of the Britax Advocate comes in a neutral gray, while the interior textile is black with coordinating piping. If you purchase the car seat online, it is packed in protective padding so it is safe enroute to your home. It also comes with a recline system and a level indicator. Using the indicator, you should be able to find a comfortable recline angle for your child. The level will tell you if the recline angle is appropriately set.
Installing the Britax Advocate
Even though the Advocate is one of the heaviest car seats on the market, it is incredibly easy to install. Because it comes with the ClickTight and LATCH system, parents can be certain the car seat is installed properly to insure the utmost in safety. The seat has clear labels and instructions that allow parents to quickly install the seat and adjust the harness and buckles.
When installing the seat either rear-facing or forward-facing, the bottom of the seat lifts up to hold the seat belt straps safely in plae. Then, you lower the seat in place and use the ClickTight lock to hold that seat down. Once in place, the car seat will not go anywhere.
To add to the safety of the ClickTight system, Britax also included the LATCH system making it compatible with most newer model vehicles. The car seat also includes a harness system that allows you to adjust the tension with a click of a button. Britax calls this the Click & Safe Snug Harness Indicator. It doesn’t get much easier than this Britax car seat when it comes to installing and adjusting it to fit your car and your child.
Safety of the Britax Advocate
The Britax is known for manufacturing safe products for young children. Their car seats are not an exception. The Advocate includes safety features that are worth bragging about with these as the most important:
- Energy-absorbing steel frame and base
- Three layers of SafeCell Impact Protection for side impact protection that exceeds the standards from federal agencies
- Click & Safe Snug harness system
The most common way that children are injured is by side impacts. Britax understands that which is why they designed the Advocate to have the best protection of any car seat with three layers of protective padding on an energy-absorbing shell. You can rest assured that your child will be comfortable and safe when riding in the car while in the Advocate.
The shell of the Britax Advocate is in a shape that is designed to protect children from debris that flies around the car in an accident. The headrest protects the head and neck and the compression cushions distribute crash energy to protect the child in the carseat and the other passengers in the car, who might bump into the car seat in an accident.
Ease of Use
- Because this car seat does not have a carriage that can be removed from the base, this car seat is ideal for families who do not want to mess around with a complicated four-in-one system.
- You simply install the car seat and enjoy the safety of it. The ClickTight installation is foolproof and the adjustable harness can be tightened with the push of a button.
- The car seat cover can be removed for cleaning. Britax recommends cleaning it by hand and letting it air dry. The car seat dries quickly and is easy to put back in place.
- It is also easy to adjust the recline angle. With the easy-to-read level, you can quickly assess whether or not the recline angle is safe for the direction of the seat. Forward-facing seats should not be reclined at the same degree as rear-facing seats.
Britax offers several useful extras for the Advocate USA.
- These extras are designed to help the car seat last longer and to protect your car from messes that children can make while riding in the car. One of the favorites with many parents is the Vehicle Seat Protector. This rubber mat is designed to contain the base of the Advocate and other Britax models.
The rubber mat does not affect the safety features of the car seat, but it does protect the actual car from messes. It is made of a non-slip material and it has raised edges which keeps the car clean. The car mat also prevents indents in the car upholstery. There is also a section that sticks out from the front of the car seat to protect your car’s upholstery scuffs from your children’s shoes.
- Another popular choice is the Britax Seat Saver Waterproof Liner. This liner sits securely over the car seat fabric and is designed to make the car seat last longer. The liner is made of a dry-wick fabric so your car seat fabric is not damaged from leaky diapers or spilled sippy cups. The dry-wick fabric insures that the car seat is always comfortable and dry. The tall sides keep crumbs on top, rather than falling under and getting embedded in the car seat fabric.
- If you travel and you want to take the Advocate with you on the road, Britax offers a Travel Cart that makes this heavy seat easy to move through airports.
The cart folds up when you are not using it so it easily fits into overhead compartments.
Attachment using the car seat’s LATCH connectors for quick and simple use, Compact fold stows into small spaces including most airplane overhead compartments, Steel frame design for strength and durability.
- Since this car seat does not come with a cup holder, Britax also offers a convertible Cup Holder that can be securely attached to the Advocate and the other ClickTight car seats, too.
The cup holder can be washed in the top shelf of a dishwasher and is designed to hold everything from sippy cups to juice boxes of all shapes.
There are several other products that make owning this car seat convenient, like mirrors that let you see your child when the car seat faces the rear and the EZ-buckle belly pad that makes it easier to buckle the harness. It also adds another level of comfort to the seat.
This is a car seat that provides the best safety features on the market today.
Britax has included everything that a parent could want to make the car seat easy to install and adjust. On top of the safety features, they also expect the Advocate to have a 10-year life, so families can use this car seat with several children, as long as the seat is not involved in any car accidents.
If you want to protect your child while riding in the car, this is the car seat that does it the best. This seat is second to none when it comes to comfort, safety, and ease of use.
You cannot go wrong adding the Britax Advocate to the backseat of your vehicle!
- Three layers of side protection
- LATCH system
- Easy-to-adjust-and-tighten harness
- 10-year life span
- Plenty of accessories available
- Forward-facing & rear-facing
- Seven-position recline system
- ClickTight installation system
- High price
- Not part of a travel system